If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident whilst on hire, the following procedures should be followed:
A) AT THE ACCIDENT SCENE THE CUSTOMER MUST:
1. Obtain the names and addresses of any third parties and any witnesses.
2. Report the accident to police, regardless of estimated damage costs.
3. Not accept blame or insist the other party is at fault.
4. If possible, photograph damage to all vehicle(s) and registration number(s).
5. Call 1300 850 805 with the accident’s details within 24 hours. We recommend a local sim to be able to contact us free of charge
B) AT THE BRANCH
1. The Customer must produce their Driver’s Licence and hand over the police report (if applicable) and any supporting photographs.
2. The Customer is required to pay the cost of any Damage to the Vehicle (if applicable, in accordance with clause 22) and any other amount due by them in respect of any Damage arising from an accident, loss, or damage. This amount is payable at the time of reporting ‘the event’ and not at completion of the Rental Period.
3. The Customer will pay the daily rental rate for the period the Vehicle is off fleet for accident repairs.
4. The Local Host will ensure the Motor Vehicle Accident Report is completed clearly and accurately, and signed by the Customer.
C) EXCHANGE VEHICLE
1. The availability of an Exchange Vehicle is not guaranteed; provision is subject to availability, Customer location, accident liability and remaining hire duration. Additional charges may be incurred (see below).
2. If an Exchange Vehicle is required as a result of an accident, the Customer is responsible for making their own way to the nearest maui branch or pick-up location at their own cost.
3. We may offer the Customer the option of paying an “Exchange Vehicle Relocation Fee” to send a driver to deliver the exchange vehicle to the Customer’s location.
4. The Customer will pay for any costs relating to delivery of an exchange Vehicle because of any single Vehicle accident. This charge applies irrespective of the Liability Reduction Option being taken.
5. If an exchange vehicle is provided, any Liability Reduction Option purchased at the commencement of the Rental Period may, at maui’s discretion (including where it considers the exchange vehicle is at risk of damage) be terminated with effect from the date of provision of the exchange vehicle (and the Customer will not be charged the additional per day charge in respect of the Liability Reduction Option from that date). If maui exercises its right to terminate the Liability Reduction Option, a Liability Deposit will be required to be paid by the Customer at the time of provision of the exchange Vehicle. If the Customer did not purchase the Liability Reduction Option at the commencement of the Rental Period and paid a Liability Deposit, the Customer acknowledges that a new Liability Deposit will be required to be paid for the exchange Vehicle.
D) TIME FRAME FOR SETTLEMENT OF CUSTOMER LIABILITY CLAIMS
1. We will use best endeavours to ensure that any money due back to the Customer is forwarded as quickly as possible, however third party claims can take months or even years to resolve. We cannot force the destiny of these claims, and the Customer acknowledges that handling of these claims is up to our Insurer and the third party, whether they be insured or not.
2. We agree to refund any Liability Deposit refunds applicable within 60 days of receiving final resolution and payment relating to third party claims.
3. For information regarding outstanding claims or Liability Deposit refunds please contact the Claims Department on 0061 3 8398 8800 during office hours.
4. The Customer agrees to provide all reasonable assistance to us in handling any claim including providing all relevant information and attending Court to give evidence.
Important Note: Under no circumstances should the Customer attempt to start or drive a vehicle that has been involved in an accident, damaged by rollover, water submersion or any other means without permission from maui.